Friday, January 4, 2013

The biltmore estates

Ok so today I went to this mansion this huge house it is the biggest house in America ! IT'S THE BILTMORE ESTATES it has eight thousand acres,it has 250 room and it was all originally created for a weekend getaway. You see George Washington Vanderbilt visit North Carolina and he had wanted a weekend get away be bad tons of money his grandfather Cornelius Vanderbilt expert with railroads and he had tons of money who had 2 sons and one of them was William Henry Vanderbilt who doubled that money and William had 3 sons and the youngest son was George Washington Vanderbilt. That was when this all started! So it took him six yeas to make that"weekend getaway" the largest homes in America with electricity and 250 rooms with indoor plumbing open to his family and friend . The house was open to them in the year 1889-1895. He then opened it to only family and friends he had the largest private owned house in the country and was still a bachelor so you can imagine the ladies . His friends would get not only get a nice stay but a nice transportation because George Vanderbilt owned his own car to a train so his friends and relatives would get picked up in a private comfortable train and have the a experience at a house they would get nowhere else because here at the biltmore estates which by the way the name came about from George Vanderbilt's last name and more from the language old English which means Rolling county side and land. So anyway what was so special that visitors enjoyed was that in the late 1800s and early 1900 was that most houses didn't have a bathroom in there house and in the Biltmore there was 43 bathrooms !! Also most houses had no indoor plumbing or electricity , well in every room there was lights and even a indoor heated water lights pool, do you know how rare that was? VERY! So there were servants but no slaves they paid the servants from what I'm aware of and when George did marry Edith they treated them so nicely and they had there own room and were like family to the Vanderbilt's. Well they had rooms from gymnasium to tons of dressings rooms to ice boxes and fruit rooms , guests rooms ,smoke rooms ,fun room , couple of kitchens , bathrooms , and a pool a bowling alley and oh my goodness you don't know how rare and special, there backyard was 140 central parks together and was amazing I saw it! I will post pictures but unfortunatly I was not allowed to take any inside ! I was disappointed but I got tin of the outside gardens and village and restaurants a couple of gift shops and farms that was just separate from the house which takes up most of the time oh and there a a winery so I got pictures of everything I could and that I went to but before we get into the pics lets talk about there daughter Cornelia who was born August 22 1900! Oh it was like William and Kate's baby being born it was huge and there baby grew up in the house in the James 15 royal room it is very special and I she was a only child. I went to eat in the stable cafe which was very cool to me because the cafe was the old horse barn which the racehorses stayed in and Edith (George's wife and Cornelia mom) loved horses and was a excellent carriage driver and rider she was the first female president of the fair for farming and animals she started the first 4h club which I was in and many people still today are in for animals and sewing and other activities anyway the stable cafe was so cool because we are on the middle of horse stalls and there are still steel railings and troughs with hay spots it is awesome! I can't say enough about this place it is all like it was a very long time ago so it is like vintage and I just love it! I hope you can visit sometimes And I hope you would like it as much s I did! I love old times so much ! For more stories you will have to visit the house u can't tell you it all! They also had these cool telephone like things that you press 1 for example and it would tell you all about room one , that way you don't need a guide, tons of workers and cleaners and farmers and guides and drivers work they're but you can go at your own pace this way! So I hope I didn't forget anything but you will really have I visit yourself to see what I am talking about because it is truly amazing and this has been the best vacation ever because that house u am telling you it is simply gorgeous like a dream ! So I guess I gotta show you pictures now and u will blog tomorrow! Bye bye now go to BILTMORE!
Love syd <3
Oh yea There's Bamboo there also



























































4 comments:

Anita said...

WOW! That's all I can say! WOW! I want to go there so bad! Thanks for telling and showing us about it! I'm so glad you got to go. I love you. Grandma

Pam and Gene said...

Amazing place! Thanks for the history lesson Sydney. Looks like you had a great time.

Unknown said...

haha, i agree with Anita! "WOW" is the only word that I can say! Seems that you had lots of fun! Good for you!

Unknown said...

I think you can be a travel guide! If you were, I will definitely ask you to guide us when we are visiting there!